Last January, we had our annual snow storm. We were iced into our home for almost a week. Apparently the city does not ever plow neighborhood streets in NC, so after the snow falls, everything just turns into an ice sheet. I literally watched a woman slide down the street last year as she tried to go check her mail (Obviously no mail was coming, so she made a series of bad choices. And no, I didn’t help her. I watched from the window. But I was pregnant!) We had limited groceries in the fridge, but I really wanted to have something warm and special since I was trapped indoors. These crepes were seriously amazing. We have made them twice since then. They are my new favorite sweet breakfast.
One thing I did the last few time I made this was make the batter and fillings the night before. Everything keeps well in the fridge. Now that we have a baby, I can’t tell you how nice it is to have a portion of the breakfast making done the night before. Otherwise, it’s cheerios for everyone.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, stirring until ingredients are slightly mixed.
- Add the milk 1/2 cup at a time stirring vigorously after each addition, making sure the milk is completely incorporated into the batter and that the batter is smooth before adding more milk.
- Repeat with the rest of the milk. The batter should be very liquidy and have no lumps.
- In a pan over medium heat, pout 1/3 cup of the batter in the center and swirl the batter around the edges of the pan until set.
- To know when the crepe is ready to flip, lift up one of the edges about 1/3 of the way. The bottom side should be golden brown. Flip the crepe.
- Cook until the edges are starting to slightly crisp.
- Remove the crepe from the pan and cover with a paper towel to make sure the crepes stay moist.
- Fill crepes with desired fillings (ideas below) and roll or fold in fourths. Serve with whipped cream or dust with powdered sugar.
Berry Cheesecake: (this is my favorite, and I don’t like cheesecake)
- Take some blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (about 1 cup) with a few drops of lemon juice and a few tbsps sugar. Cook on stove until they boil and then let it cool.
- Take one block of cream cheese and mix it with about 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Spread cream cheese onto crepe. Spread berries on top of cream cheese. Fold or roll crepe.
Cinnamon and Sugar:
- Melt a stick of butter on the stove. Add some sugar and cinnamon to taste. You could also add some cloves and nutmeg. Add some sliced banana as well if you want.
- Spread the cinnamon-sugar-butter mixture on to the crepe. Fold or roll the crepe.
Strawberry-Banana Nutella: (I despise this option but my husband loves it so it is here for him and him alone.)
- Chop strawberries and bananas.
- Spread Nutella onto the crepe. Add strawberries and bananas on top. Fold or roll the crepe.